Sunday, February 19, 2006

rhythm science :: dj spooky


Dj Spooky that Subliminal Kid is an invented persona initially created as a conceptual art project by Paul Miller. This may indicate that Paul is not your average Dj, intellectually speaking. Another clue is that Paul is the only Dj that has a book, "Rhythm Science" published by MIT Press. The companion cd to the book "c-side" is as intellectual as electronica can be. Not only in the maturity of the composition, but in the actual samples are the voices/words of wisdom from intellectuals, academics, philosophers, theorists, scientists, poets, writers etc. Dj Spooky seems to get above the obligatory pop culture of the "me so horny" and "sampled movie quote here."

I actually did want to get into some details from the book, but I seemed to have lost it (it is small enough to fit in a coat pocket so I was carrying it everywhere), which sucks because I do believe it of "cultural artifact" accolade that is worth owning for the occasional re-read.

Two good experiences that happened because of Paul Miller's Rhythm Science. My first night with the book my head was spinning w/ ideas the book was presenting (i.e "thoughts are vector." Yeah yeah, vector. starting point, ending point, fixed length, but no fixed point of origin. Not only the ideas but the way Miller presented them, rhythmic poetic -put me in a euphoric state. I never really got into poetry, but if that is how it makes you feel, then I will surely give it a second look.

The other experience was with the music (c-side) itself. I was on a long drive with my son listening to dj spookys companion cd. I was put into a wonderful trance-like state of consciousness. The sound complemented my stream of thoughts and ideas. I snapped out of it and looked back at my 5-year old and noticed he was pretty entranced as well. I would love to know what he was thinking about. When I asked him if he liked the music he replied "Yeah, pretty cool".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home