Friday, February 24, 2006

*%#@ adobe


I actually remember photoshop 2.5.1 (1989-1993) and 17 years and 7 versions later not much has really changed (5.5 "imageready" was a big leap but now obsolete). I have sucked up the yearly laughable upgrades and tolerated the price gouging after the macromedia buyout.

Today I tried to put adobe cs2 (that I legally purchased) on more than two of my personal machines (I am an American and a geek). I have computers in my studio, office, home, and person (laptop). Long story short, I can't. cs2 requires online or telephone activation. I even tried a lengthy telephone call trying to convince adobe that I am not a thief and just want to use the software that I paid for how I want. Interesting enough I was informed that I could only use the software 80% on my primary machine and 20% on my secondary machine. I asked if they where tracking my usage, there was no reply. What's next, yearly subscriptions? There is a good discussion on this subject here.

I am going to try to boycott adobe, which is a bit difficult since they bought out their only viable competitor macromedia. The answer my friends is open source. If the software is good enough for poor countries then it is good enough for me and my students.

Gimp is an open source photoshop alternative.
Inkscape is an open source illustrator alternative.
Blender is an open source maya/3d studio max alternative.
Cinepaint is an open source film effect editor.

I will add more when I find them (if you know any please add to the comments)
A comprehensive list of open source projects here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home